Catalyst Arts’ mission is to build the capacity of young people, educators and organizations to create arts-based projects that interrogate social justice issues and drive change in their communities.
Creative Youth Development:
Catalyst Arts’ programming is culturally responsive and youth-centered. Students are led by a youth facilitator and master teaching artist to create projects that build leadership and the artistic skills of students. The projects created address social justice issues happening in student’s communities through a specific art form.
What students will learn
● How to identify, research, and address an issue they are concerned about using an arts-based design thinking process.
● How to create an artistic project using arts and technology like social media, video and photography.
● How to work collaboratively in a team, identifying and fulfilling needed production roles.
- Singing and songwriting
- Music Production: beats, rhymes and lyrics
- Theater/Spoken Word poetry
We train Teaching Artists, Educators and Staff at schools and community based organizations to increase their capacity for facilitation in Culturally responsive and social justice teaching practices through a participatory art making process.
*Catalyst also offers customized workshops based in strengthening understanding of culturally responsive teaching, creating student-led projects for social change, arts integrated learning and social justice.